Saturday, April 21, 2012

Happy Philosophy Time

I just thought it might come in handy in the future to have my feelings on yoomanity written down somewhere, so here they are! Note that these are only my beliefs; I acknowledge that my views may be inaccurate. Sorry that it's long.

To put it simply, I believe that humankind is wretched, abominable, and boundlessly cruel. I'd say that describes a perfectly ordinary human, as well. Some people really enjoy being helpful and feel bad about hurting people/things, but they are rare. However, they are common enough that you are HIGHLY unlikely to go through your life without at least hearing someone talk about someone who happens to be like that.
I think most people are very stupid, because they have a predisposition toward being so, or they didn't have the opportunity to realise their potential, etc. Most people are evil, too, because of a predisposition or because they were raised to be, etc. The rarest type of person is the one that is neither stupid nor evil. I have no idea how common people who are evil and smart, or people who are dumb and not evil, are, but each is somewhere between the "evil dumb" and "non-evil smart" people. Of course, nobody is purely good. Some people are probably purely evil, though. And then there are amoral folks and all the various shades of these things, but the main distribution is clear.

Everyone is fallible. Anyone can make mistakes. A good person can do something evil by accident, and a bad person can do something good while trying not to. A smart person can mistakenly do something dumb, and a dumb person can do something smart that was not what they intended to do! So on.

Overall, I consider myself evil. HOWEVER! While I may view a person that I see on the street as likely to go on a killing spree for fun, I try to be nice to everyone. I would like for everyone to get along with each other, and to be friends with me. I hope that anyone I encounter will be friendly, while fully expecting them to harbour desires to stab everybody that they see. That said, I have noticed that my compassion is not given very freely at all. It is difficult for a person to rank beyond "dangerous bag of water that talks." If someone dies I'll probably think it's terrible (as my certainty that they were NOT evil increases, so does the probability of me thinking it was terrible for them to die), sure, because I think life is a cool thing and it's a shame to have it cut short. However, beyond that, I'll just think of them as a resource that's been wasted, instead of a person for me to care about. If I've known someone for a while and they seem to check out, THEN I'll care about them as a person. I was slightly disturbed to notice this, but there it is.

More video game news soon maybe!?

No comments: